Current literature suggests the following:
- Physicians can change and improve children’s television viewing habits.
- Canadian children watch excessive amounts of television.
- There is a relationship between watching violent television programming and an increase in violent behavior by children.
- Excessive television watching contributes to the increased incidence of childhood obesity.
- Excessive television watching may have a deleterious effect on learning and academic performance.
- Watching certain programs may encourage irresponsible sexual behavior.
- Television is an effective way of advertising products to children of various ages.
The following groups of children may be more vulnerable to violence on television:
- children from minority and immigrant groups;
- emotionally disturbed children;
- children with learning disabilities;
- children who are abused by their parents; and
- children in families in distress.